Thursday, August 12, 2010

Week 1, Day 4: Joyful

The training schedule calls for a 2-mile run and strength training.  Because our schedule is interchangeable, I'm going to move my Thursday strength training to Saturday, simply because I have more time.

I bought new running shoes today. They're Saucony, a brand I've only heard good things about.  They are fantastic to walk in, but for some reason my lower back was aching the whole time I was on the treadmill.  I'm not too concerned about it because of "other stuff" that is going on physically right now.  The pain did prevent me from doing much running, only about 5 minutes overall.  I'm going to give it a few more runs with the shoes to make sure that's the problem.

So, not a stellar day of training, but the two miles were accomplished.  Tomorrow is rest day and Girls Night!

2 comments:

  1. It's probably not the shoes. I wouldn't worry about them. I'm gonna assume it's the "other stuff" for now.

    Can't wait for Girl's Night...if I get to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saucony was BIG when I was living in Maine (they had a few outlet stores up there) - I had never heard of it, but my boss (another Marathon runner) swore by them. They didn't fit my feet right, so I stopped after one pair, but everyone that I know who's tried them won't go back to anything else.

    Lower back pain may also be a result of the way you're running. Check to see if you're pounding down on your whole foot (flat-footed), or if you're going heel-toe. I used to have terrible knee & back pain during my runs, but my boss (same guy) showed me how to essentially "glide" with a heel-toe motion and it worked wonders. It's almost like you're skating on the ground - and your legs will tighten up at first, but if you can keep with it, it pays off.

    Good luck!

    ~Dan

    ReplyDelete