Monday, October 25, 2010

Week 11, Days 3-7: Kristin

Let's catch up. Last week was so chaotic that I literally did not have the time or energy to post anything on the blog. For that, I apologize. Some amazing things happened on my runs, though, that I am excited to share. Let's break it down by day.

Day 3
This is supposed to be a cross-training day. Well, it got pushed back to Friday, again, but mostly because I had some things go on with my daughter at her school. She is being bullied by some snot-nosed little boy, and I needed to put my "mom hat" on and take care of it with her teacher. The issue has been addressed, but it put a kink in my training schedule. I don't mind because my most important job is to be a good mother to my kids. And on Wednesday, that's what I did.

Day 4
This was another different day. We were scheduled for a 3 mile run plus strength training. I wasn't quite sure how it was all going to work out this day because my kids were on Fall Break and we had a funeral to attend Thursday afternoon. However, I was lucky enough to be able to count on my Grandpa to watch the kids. We then went to the funeral together, so it all worked out. It was the first time I'd run in Sperry where I was not running on the trail. I was nervous about it because Sperry is a small town with little to no sidewalks. For the most part, the only sidewalks or shoulder areas are just through the "downtown" part of town. That was just a short part of my run. I just ran in the road and the people driving were kind enough to avoid me. However, I will never understand how the people of my hometown refuse to chain their dogs or put them in their back yards. It blows my mind. I was chased by two dogs that were very aggressive-looking. I slowed down a bit, even to a walk as to avoid any unnecessary conflict with the dogs, but was still followed and growled at. It was very scary. So, I'm making this plea to the town of Sperry: "Please chain your dogs if you're going to leave them in the front yard, or put them in your fenced back yard. It would save you a lot of heartache, and possibly some money if you were to ever be sued by someone who was bitten by your vicious-looking dogs. Thanks!"

Run totals:
Total distance = 3.2 miles: 3 miles running, 0.2 miles walking
Total time = 31 minutes
Cross training:
50 squats
50 oblique crunches
50 calf raises
50 two-legged bridges

Day 5
This was the designated "rest" day on the schedule. Since I had so much going on in my world on Wednesday, I decided to do my cross training this day. I've said this before, I have to get creative sometimes when it comes to these cross training days. I may be a stay-at-home mom, but I am a very busy stay-at-home mom. And when my kids are home on Fall Break, it throws a wrench into EVERYTHING that I need to get done. Most of the things I have to do are put on hold when the kids are here. They're only 5 and 7, so it's not like I can leave them at home while I go run for 45 minutes or something. So here's what I decided to do for my cross training. You may disagree with whether it's a workout, but it totally was. And I'm counting it for Sunday's cross training as well. For this one, it was supposed to be 45 minutes and Sunday's is supposed to be 60 minutes. I'm more than covered in the time allotted.


My daughter's room needed a complete overhaul. She had way too many toys and just stuff that she was unable to keep it clean and it was really disgusting in there. So, I shut myself up in there until I was finished while the kids watched TV and played in my bedroom. It took me 2 and a half hours to get it done, but it's completed. I was constantly moving and lifting things. I moved furniture around, hauled out two giant trash bags full of toys as well as two giant bins that were also full of toys. In the process, I believe I pulled a muscle in my stomach. I was quite sore there for the rest of the evening on into the next morning. I also woke up to sore thigh muscles the next day from all the movement. So, for those of you who don't believe that it was a workout, I wish you could have felt the muscle aches that I felt. You would kindly beg to differ, I'm sure.

Day 6
This was a very big day, not only for me but for my son, too. We signed him up to play basketball this year, and Saturday was the evaluation day. They got him fitted for his uniform and they got to see where he was at fundamentally in his skills. I wasn't sure how he was going to do, but he amazes me every day. I was so surprised, but so incredibly proud, at what he was able to do. I think he is going to really love playing basketball. He's actually quite good at it. But, I digress.

You are really interested in what was on the training schedule, aren't you? Well, it was a big one: 8 miles!! Eek! But, I was really excited about it. Seriously. I wanted to see what I was capable of. I was curious to see if I would be able to run a lot of it, or if I'd have to walk most of it. I actually ran all but 0.4 miles. Really! And my time proves it. I ran the trail in Sperry again, but this time was different. I was alone. Completely alone. There was only one other person that I saw on the trail the entire time I was out there. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that it was gloomy and rainy outside. It rained on me for the first little bit of the run, then quit, then rained on me again for most of the second half of the run. Oh, that second half of the run, how I loathe you. The wind decided that it needed to pick up. It did alright, to the point where I felt like I wasn't moving in certain places. But, I never gave up, and I completed that 8 miles. I'm really glad that Joy sent me a text message telling me to stretch within 15 minutes of finishing, because I probably wouldn't have. My legs are still sore today from it, but I can't even imagine what I would have felt like had I not stretched.

Here's the good stuff you're interested in:
Total distance = 8 miles: 7.6 miles running, 0.4 miles walking
Total time = 89 minutes (!!)

Day 7
This was another cross training day on the schedule. As I stated earlier, overhauling my daughter's room is being counted for this day's workout. Also, let's add in doing the same thing with my son's room. This time, though, my hubby was home and we did this together. BUT, we completely rearranged his bedroom furniture. This was no easy task, either. His bunk bed is ridiculously large and it took the both of us to move it. I'm just glad it's over with. I'm not happy that doing that made me get sick. I'm sure it's from stirring up a lot of dust in his room by moving things around, but my throat is killing me today. My eyes and head were hurting me all day yesterday and my nose wouldn't stop running. I took some allergy medicine last night at bedtime and it completely wiped me out today.


There will be another post from me later on today, or possibly tomorrow, that will discuss the stretching and strengthening that's on today's schedule. But for now, this is all I can do.

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment