Sunday, November 7, 2010

A New Start! - Twelve Weeks to go!

As Kristin posted a few days ago, she and I took this past week of from training in order to rest, recuperate, and gear up for a brand new training schedule.  Tomorrow starts our official training for the half marathon in January.

Unlike the training for the Tulsa Run (9.3 miles/15k), this schedule has us running 4 times each week instead of three, plus strength training, stretching, and cross-training.  Kristin and I discussed this recently, and we decided to make the cross-training optional.  Training for a marathon is very time-consuming, and the other workouts are vital to our success.  So we've decided that if any part of this schedule must suffer because of time constraints, it will be the cross-training.

Now, then.  Everything I've read about long-distance running has said that a strong core is key to prevent lower back pain in the final miles of a long run.  I have definitely found this to be true!  However, during the Tulsa Run last week, my shoulders were also particularly sore - more so than my back.  As such, I'm going to focus my strength training on my core, shoulders, and legs.  I'll still do some arm work to stay "even," but my focus is definitely be for getting strong enough to carry myself for 13.1 miles in January.

I have all the tools right here at home to complete my training, so tomorrow I start this new schedule feeling refreshed, excited, and ready to take on 13.1 miles!!

Here's a taste of the schedule, this is for Week 1.  Over the next 12 weeks the times and distances will increase:

Monday - Stretch & Strengthen
Tuesday - 3 mi. run
Wednesday - cross-train or 2 mi run
Thursday - 3 mi. run
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - 30 minutes cross-train
Sunday - 4 mi. run (Long Run Day)

**SIDENOTE: It's weird that even though I've been looking forward to having this past week off from training, there have been several times where I've wanted to get outside and run, bike, etc.  Knowing that I've got 12 weeks ahead of me where I'll be working out six days a week kept me from acting on that inclination.  I know that by January, I'll feel ready for a training break again, so I made myself take time off regardless this week.  Summary:  I've become one of "those" people who crave exercise!  Who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment